A one-day event bringing together a balanced panel of practitioners in the field of legislation from the EU institutions and academic experts in legislative matters. They will discuss the quality of EU legislation in a broad sense, including preparation (consultation and impact assessment), drafting, negotiation, publication, transposition and implementation, application and enforcement, and the upkeep of the statute book.
The aim of a symposium is to foster the free exchange of ideas and to this end the day will consist of short presentations by each member of the panel interspersed with plentiful opportunities for discussions between all the participants. The contributions will be published in an issue of the journal The Theory and Practice of Legislation.
The Dean of the Academy for Legislation, Peter van Lochem, will welcome the participants and deliver an opening address. The sessions will be chaired by William Robinson, Associate Research Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London.
- Helen Xanthaki is Professor and Academic Director of the Sir William Dale Centre, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies aan de University of London.
- Michael Gremminger is Head of Unit, Regulatory Policy and Impact Assessment unit, Secretariat General of the European Commission.
- Manuela Guggeis is Head of Unit for Legal Revision in the Quality of Legislation Directorate of the Legal Service of the General Secretariat of the Council of the EU.
- Robert Bray is Head of the Secratariat of the Legal Affairs Committee of the European Parliament.
- Mari Mousmouti is Executive director of the Centre for European constitutional law, Athens).
- Pascale Berteloot is Head of the Enterprise Architecture, Methods and Formats unit in the Publications Office of the EU.
- Wim Voermans is Professor of Constitutional and Administrative Law, University of Leiden an Director of the Institute of Public Law of the Leiden Law School.
More information about the programme will be send to the particpants in advance of the symposium.
Date: 17 October 2013
Time: 10.30 – 17.30 uur
Place: Academy for Legislation
Lange Voorhout 62, The Hague
Registration: firstname.lastname@example.org o.v.v. Symposium Quality of EU legislation 2013 and your name, postion, organisation and invoice address.
Price: € 300,- (including lunch)